Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Bridge

I'm sure you are familiar with the old question “if one of your friends jumps off a bridge will you?”. Usually asked by a parent once a child has done something inconceivably stupid with one of their friends. At least that seemed to be the case when the question was posed to me. The implication being; not thinking for yourself will lead to an after school special being made about your spectacularly inept decisions all wrapped up with the Very Big Lesson to be learned by the end of the show.

While watching the dogs at their play date this past week, the image of my mother asking me this same question flashed through my mind while pondering the implications of the mud bath extravaganza. One dog took notice and the rest jumped with him. I thought of stopping the party before it got started, before the keg, pizza and wings were ordered, before even the phone calls were made and invitations sent out. I knew where it was going. But in the end, I was the enabler, in part because they were having such fun and part (selfishly) because I wanted the photos. Truth be told.

The beginning; so far it is just a speck of an idea; hmmm water + dirt = fun...

Ike, the light brindle, starts the party...

Ike, now the dark brindle...

Willow diving headlong off the bridge...

Dru jumping in after her...

Tandem jump...

Little respite...

Willow testing to see if she has reached the molten mantle yet...

KC enjoying the fruits of everyone else's labor...

No comments: