Sunday, May 20, 2012


We are apparently the house cursed when it comes to greyhound injuries this year. They do say the come in threes though, don't they? Oh wait, that means I should have been finished with this 2 injuries ago.

We went to playdate this morning minus Dru, because a week ago she had a mass removed from her thigh. After the masses found on Breeze, I went a little paranoid and really checked the dogs over with a fine tooth comb. Dru had a small mass on her butt. The vet said "let's take it off". Again, I was in full agreement. It all turned out OK, but Dru has been grounded for over a week. She hates that.

While at playdate, there was a small tangle up when one of the dogs attempted to join the running pack at the wrong angle. Apparently, Breeze leaped over the dog while at full sprint. I can't begin to tell you how sorry I am to say, I wasn't the one to see it happen. I was told it was quite the sight. The pack came to a screeching halt, with a few noses being buried into a few behinds. But all was well. Or so I thought.

After getting Willow, Breeze and Angel home, then took Dru and Angel to one of the nearby parks and a farmer's market for a walk to see how he would do with distractions, noise, people, ducks, other dogs, trucks, etc. He did wonderfully. Wanted to check out every possible thing.

When we returned home, Breeze jumped up on the door as always, and when I entered, there were bloody footprints materializing from one of the 12 paws prancing around the living room. I finally tracked it to Breeze. We cleaned it up and she had split the webbing between the toes on the right foot. So I bandaged then waited to see what would happen. She bled through the bandage. It was off to the emergency vet. (Why do they always get injured on the weekend when my vet isn't open?)

Because of the location, how it tore and Breeze's history of blowing out her stitches, we decided to see if it would heal on it's own before putting her out and stitching it up. I'm OK with that, I hate to have them put under. While there, I also noticed a small puncture near her elbow. I'm wondering if, after the amazing leaping over the other grey, she ran into the fence or another dog. Though there was no blood in the car or anywhere else in the house, or on the front patio: all places she walked after the park visit. Or did she do it jumping up on the door? It is a mystery.

So after her exercise this morning, then the stress of the vet visit, plus the light sedation so they could trim the hair and clean the wound, she is passed out on her bed. (Unless, I'm bugging her with the camera, then she gives me The Stare. See exhibit "A" below.)

Diagnosis: grounded for 2 weeks. Sigh. Anyone come up with that bubble wrap suit yet?



Bowsers, take care of yourselves.

Finn said...

Aw, hope everything heals. Emergencies always happen on the weekends, don't they? Pretty bandages though!

Kari in Vegas said...

Someone needs a BUBBLE

Stop on by for a visit

houndstooth said...

I'm still working on the bubble suit here! Poor baby! Give her a little ear scritch for me.

Jen said...

Yup, that looks like the "eat poo and die" stare to me.

Hope she heals up fast!

Sue said...

Song and I hope Dru is much better soon. At least Breeze has company now.

Bassetmomma said...

Poor girl! I hope she heals up fast!

gyeong said...

Eek! Hope the black cloud has moved on.

What Remains Now said...

I HATE injuries! Sending warm wishes and crossed paws for a quick recovery.

Witty Angel said...

When you get a hold of that bubble wrap suit, let me know. I'll take one for Luna. It makes me crazy that these speed demons can get injured so easily.