Thursday, July 17, 2014

THE FOSTER BOY

I am currently respite fostering a big, beautiful boy named Jake while his normal foster parents are out of town. He is the most fabulous grey I have met in a long time. (Well aside from my 3, of course.) He is casual, solid, loving, plays with toys, gets along with the other dogs and has settled in well and quickly.

I keep having to tell myself, "You will NOT adopt". It's not working very well at the moment. How am I supposed to help the greyhound group, Southern Arizona Greyhound Adoptions with continual fostering if I keep foster failing? Sigh. I've even told my friend who works with the adoptions for the greyhound group, that at the end of the foster time when I tell her I would like to keep him, she is to deny the request. Which I
don't believe she will do.

The only issue is that he marks in the house when I leave. Even if it is to go outside for an extended period of time. He does not do it when I am home. He uses the dog door and everything. My wonderful dog behaviorist trainer sister, has indicated it is because he is not accustomed to the house and hasn't been in a place permanently, so is a little worried and I just need to crate him when I go out. As his foster mom does. So I did, and no problems while I was gone today. He went right in to the crate and seemed pretty content in there.

I do think it is safe to say he is not small dog or cat tolerant. He went on high alert when a cat strolled across the street 400 feet in front of us on this morning's walk. He also perked up at the crying baby noises from the neighbor's house, and when he saw the goats, chickens and bunnies at a local school.

So, anyone in the Tucson area thinking about adopting a greyhound, he would make a great addition to your family. He is simply wonderful.



1 comment:

Sue said...

Lovely lad. Hope he finds his forever home soon.