Sunday, November 7, 2010

THE DRU SAGA

And the Dru Collision saga continues…

We started the time at the park today with Dru not even wanting to go through the gate. A little encouragement and a little uncertain prancing (by Dru, not me) and she came in. It was a slight hesitation, but there nonetheless.

As usual, after the dog greetings, everyone took off at a run. Except Dru. I just decided to employ the let’s not make a big deal of it attitude and walked away to shoot photos. She didn’t want to enter the grass, so if I went into the dirt, she would come over and hang out, otherwise she stayed with the people in the dirt area when usually she plays with the other dogs, does the runs, harasses Breeze, and checks in with me.

We had about 16 dogs there today (WOOT!) and once a few went home, she was more comfortable and did a couple of runs. When a dog was on the other side of the fence she joined the mad rush to go say “hi”, then freaked out once she realized where she was and what she had done. We stayed until most everyone had left and she came onto the grass and did a little playing with me. So, better, but not normal.

Thank you everyone for your comments yesterday, I do appreciate them.

6 comments:

houndstooth said...

I'd say not making a big deal of it is probably your best tactic. My bet is that eventually she'll forget herself and join in a bit, but may always carry herself with more caution.

Treat had walked through our kitchen without a problem for six months. After we brought Hawk home, he bumped her in there one day and she fell on the linoleum. I kid you not, it took us about four months to convince her to walk through there again! Hang in there, it'll get better!

Sue said...

I am sure with time Dru will be running with the others without any hesitation.

How Sam Sees It said...

It does sound like there have been some improvements!

Sam

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

Hopefully Dru will be back to her normal self sooner rather than later. She probably has to work through the fright she got at her own pace and it sounds like she is improving. Can you take her there when there aren't any other dogs around and gradually add a few more dogs?

jet said...

Poor Dru. I think greyhounds are better than most dogs at remembering these kinds of incidents! Barbie got scared by a train at our level crossing and there she exhibits a lot of fear going across. However, when we cross the line or come across trains in other places on the line she barely reacts! Dru looks like she is showing signs of forgetting.

Helene said...

Dru's mishap & resulting reaction is so interesting to me: I got my bulldog, Kya, when she was about 18 mos. old. If I folded laundry or changed the white kitchen waste -basket bag or used big green trash bags in front of her she would shake uncontrollably, lower her head & find a corner or a room as far away as possible where she would cringe & try to press herself into the wall. She's almost 8 yrs old now & she still will quickly leave the room as soon as I start to fold laundry but she doesn't shake anymore or go too far (the next room or onto the sofa) & she still has the same reaction to the green bags even if we're outside in the yard. She will stay in the room when I empty the kitchen basket now but she still lowers her head almost to the floor. I hate to imagine what happened to make her act like this but she definitely remembers something...she had a few other behaviors that slowly disappeared over time & I'll never know why she got over some experiences but not the others...with your help, I think that Dru will be ok because I think that the other dogs will somehow help her too...